::: Cheap Therapy :::

4.18.2006

a briefing

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back here and write more often, things around here have been a little crazy with the new job and all. Yep, that’s right, I finally got a new job! I now work in the hardware department at Lowe’s (home improvement). It’s only about a mile down the road and look forward to riding a bike down there from time to time to save on gas. (gas is about $2.85/gal. right now, but it has gone up $0.10 in the last week.)

The job if fairly easy, although getting through training was a bitch. I took about 27 tests in a four day time period and have 90 days to complete the last 4, and they (of course) are on a wide variety of subjects; ranging from safety requirements for all the heavy machinery, to how to treat the customers. A few annoying inconveniences about the place: can’t smoke on the property (not even the parking lot, I have to walk across the street.); no piercing other than ears and those can only be studs (no hoops). Other than that, they have an excellent 401k and it does pay a dollar more than my last job at Dialog Telecommunications. Most of the guys I work with are a little older (lets just say that they all have gray hair) and seem pretty cool. Overall the company looks solid and their intentions seem good, I am starting to wonder what the catch is. A couple of the things that suck besides all the testing; every night I have come home completely exhausted and my feet killing me. There is a hell of a lot of walking, climbing, lifting, and moving. When I am not putting something on the shelf, I am walking a customer across the store or making copies of keys or straightening up the shelves, and not to mention almost a constant barrage of questions from customers. At least with all the running around, it will probably be easy to stay in shape.

I finally heard back from the financial aid people; they evidently thought that I made too much money last year so they declined my request for funds. [$19,354 is too much? Less money = no apartment + no gas + no phone + no food! So I have to make less money? I don’t think that would be possible and me keep my sanity.] Anyway, I went up to the South Campus of CPCC to speak with financial aid, the woman at the campus gave me some other form that I filled out for a different grant, but it kinda dawned on me on the way home from the school, what if I don’t get a grant at all? Whoa, didn’t really think about that. What then? …
… it’s intresting to experience Financial Aid for the first time, and what I have learned so far is that the system sucks. All the paper work and weeks of waiting are really a waste of time, with a few modifications I am sure we could work out an online system, without having to go get transcripts and high school diplomas and tax forms.

Uhg, telephone, Kingsley calling about the Ultimate Gym web site. Gotta go for now, will try to get back later.